Indonesia condemns bombing of its embassy in Yemen

Jakarta – Indonesia on Monday condemned the bombing of its embassy in Yemen that injured two staffers and another Indonesian.

The embassy building in the Yemeni capital Sanaa was badly damaged in an airstrike by Saudi-led forces that was intended to destroy an ammunition depot, the Foreign Ministry said.

Many Yemeni civilians were also killed in the attack, the ministry said.

“The Indonesian government believes that the bombing is evidence that the use of force to solve problems will only result in innocent people being victimised,” the ministry said in a statement.

“Indonesia would like to reiterate that a peaceful solution through diplomacy and negotiations is the best way”.

Indonesia has evacuated nearly 2,000 citizens from Yemen since the conflict erupted.

Last month Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries began a military campaign against Houthi fighters who overran large parts of Yemen in September.

Saudi Arabia is seeking to reinstate President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who has fled the country after the capital was seized by the Houthi rebels.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s