Jakarta police revised civilians killed in Thamrin bombings to four

Jakarta police on Sunday revised the number of civilians casualties in Thursday’s bombings to four after one of the wounded victims who was hospitalised died late Saturday.

Jakarta police spokesman Muhammad Iqbal said Sunday the latest fatality was a man identified as Rais Karna. He was a bystander and had worked in a local branch of Bangkok Bank.

Iqbal said Rais died Saturday evening at 9.30 PM at Abdi Waluyo hospital in Menteng. Rais was shot in the head and he had been in a coma ever since the attack.

The other three civilians killed in the bomb and gun attack by suspected Islamist militants in Central Jakarta were a Canadian national identified as Tahar Amer-Ouali and two Indonesians identified as Rico Hermawan and Sugito.

Police said CCTV recording showed Rico was heading towards the traffic police post on Thamrin Street’s median strip with a policeman, who was issuing him a traffic ticket, when the post was blown up by a bomb attack.

National Police chief Badrodin Haiti had earlier said they had identified four of those killed on Thursday as attackers but they were not sure whether another body identified as Sugito was also an attacker or a bystander, however, Iqbal later confirmed that Sugito was a civilian.

“The total fatalities now increased to eight, four were civilians while four others were the attackers,” Iqbal said.

image
A Jakarta resident placed a banner that said #wearenotafraid during a mass rally in front of Menara Cakrawala building in Central Jakarta on Friday, 15 January 2016, the site of multiple bomb blasts that killed four civilians and four attackers a day earlier. Photo: Ismira Lutfia Tisnadibrata

Police identified one of the four attackers as Afif, who was also known as Sunakim. He was photographed aiming his gun towards the police in the middle of Thamrin street, just right in front of Sarinah department store.

Police said he had been sentenced in 2010 to seven years in prison for being involved in a paramilitary training camp in Aceh, but was given early release.

Head of police forensic team Musyafak also revised the number of victims wounded in the bomb attacks to 26, including five policemen and 10 of them have been released from the hospitals.

The attackers blown up a Starbucks cafe in Menara Cakrawala building next to Sarinah and a traffic police post, shot policemen as well as bystanders and involved in an ensuing gunfight with the police for four hours.

One thought on “Jakarta police revised civilians killed in Thamrin bombings to four”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s